Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Storytime...SOLO!

I did my first solo storytime at the public library a couple of weeks ago. My trainer, Librarian Amy, filmed the performance. It differed from my previous experiences in that this was a storyTIME not a storyTELLING session. I had to incorporate more fingerplays, songs, and read from some actual books. She did not film the whole thing, but rather segments of it, which I have posted to the left.

The actual venue was the 11:15 Tuesday Lapsit. Lapsits, or babytimes as they are sometimes called, are geared at children 6 months old up to 2 1/2 years. Our attendance averages in the upper 30's to low 40's. I had around 40...babies. The 40 does NOT include the caregivers! That is a LOT of babies, a lot of kinetic energy, and a lot of noise.

I was not overly concerned about the number of attendees, since babies tend to be fairly non-judgmental. However, there were a lot of distractions, and the parents were not familiar with all of the songs I sang, so I ended up doing a couple solos.

The theme was sheep....and the line-up included:

Where is the Green Sheep? by Mem Fox
It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles G. Shaw
Sheep Asleep by Gloria Rothstein
"This is the Way..." traditional song
"Five White and Fluffy Sheep" traditional song

No comments: