Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Review: Winter Babies Wear Layers

By: Michelle Sinclair Colman
Illustrated By: Nathalie Dion

Tricycle Press; 2007; 20 pages

Board Book

Ages: 6 mos - 2 years

ISBN: 978-1582462097

Chic and multi-cultural babies enjoy various winter activities such as sledding, building snowmen, and snuggling. Whimsical trendy illustrations are accompanied by simple text in a repetitive format.

My Thoughts:

I loved this book. I actually loved the whole series, which includes Urban Babies Wear Black, Country Babies Wear Plaid, Beach Babies Wear Shades, and Eco Babies Wear Green. I liked this book best, since as a knitter I tend to suffocate the babies in my life in hats, scarves, and booties. However, rather than merely rhapsodizing about the book, I should probably tell you WHY it is so good.

First of all, the artwork is simple and accessible for children. There is neither too much, nor too little going on on the page. The main focus is on the babies themselves...and all babies like looking at other babies. The activities are things that babies can identify with, and even mimic in some instances. The text is simple, but clever and innovative. ("Winter babies are angels" cheekily captions a screaming infant in a snowbank. "Winter babies make friends" is alongside a baby building a snowman.)

I think parents will like it for its trendiness...both artistically and thematically. It is also, I think, a useful addition to the library since it is actually in line with early literacy skills and developmental levels.


The Thoughts of Others:

There were not, that I could see, a lot of "official" or "authoritative" reviews of this book.

I did find one from Looking Glass Review, which is an online children's book review journal. They thought that the book was "thoroughly warming."

There were also several reader reviews on Amazon and on a library blog...all of which were positive, referring to "spunky text" and "whimsy."

1 comment: