Saturday, October 25, 2008

Review: Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus

By: Barbara Park

Random House; 1992; 69 pages

Juvenile Fiction; Series

Grades: Kindergarten - 3rd grade

ISBN: 9-78-0679-92642-9

Junie B. Jones is excited to start kindergarten and to meet new people, but she is NOT excited about riding the school bus. In fact, at the end of the school day, she decides not to ride it home again!

My Thoughts:
I thought that this book was perfect for kids who are ready to transition from easy readers to regular juvenile fiction. I had heard from some friends that they didn't care for these books because of the poor grammar. I felt, however, that the text was suited to the narrator. When read aloud, it sounds like a 5 year old is actually talking. (I especially liked how she described her classmates when she didn't know their names: that boy I can beat up, etc.) The plot moved along quickly to hold interest. The chapters were brief to give a sense of accomplishment. Most importantly, the book felt real. Junie B. is not the nicest little girl, but that makes her seem more true to life, and easier for kids to relate to.
I believe that kids will be able to identify with Junie B. even if they are already out of kindergarten.

The other thing that I loved about this book, was that it allowed me to connect with my six year old cousin who is in kindergarten. She loves these books, and loves to read them with my aunt. The repetitive nature of the series has enabled her to recite parts of each book, because the introductions are always the same. This empowers her and makes her feel like she is actually reading. (She also was very thrilled that I had to read it for homework in college...it made her feel very grown up to be reading the same books as college students!)

The Thoughts of Others:
School Library Journal's review in 1992 raved about Park's humor. They felt like this book was a great addition to a library because Junie B.'s ignorance will let "even the most insecure readers... feel superior because they know so much more than she does."

Publisher's Weekly also reviewed the book in 1992. They picked up on the realism of Junie B.'s narration, but also pointed out the book "is peppered with reader-involving questions." This would allow teachers and parents to pause and allow their students/child to interact and engage with the text.

No comments: