Thursday, October 23, 2008

Review: Kidults

Artist: Mandy Patinkin

Nonesuch; 2001; 16 Tracks

CD; Children's Music

Ages: 2 to Adult

ISBN: 0-755-9795-3428

A collection of music that blends traditional children's songs with more adult offerings.

My Thoughts:

I was a little puzzled at first when I saw that Mandy Patinkin had a children's music album out. I was only familiar with him from television and The Princess Bride. When I listened to it, I was pleasantly surprised. His versions of several traditional kid's songs were innovative and delightful. I appreciated the fact that, as an actor, on some of the songs he did character voices and sang multiple parts (i.e. Singing in the Bathtub, A-Tisket A-Tasket). Also, as a fan of Kristen Chenoweth, I enjoyed the duets that he included.

There were a few tracks that I thought were more than a little odd. I suppose he included the Japanese Sandman/Cat in the Cradle medley as part of the -ults portion of the album. However, I find that Japanese Sandman is no longer p.c., and Cat in the Cradle is a depressingly weird choice for a children's album. Another strange medley, but one which really worked, was the Time in a Bottle/School Days/Inch worm combo. The nostalgia might be hard for kids to relate to, but it was a thouroughly charming arrangement. Overall, though admittedly strange, this is an album that both kids and adults will enjoy. Parents and caretakers won't get the kid song headache.

The Thoughts of Others:

Entertainment Weekly's Melissa Rose Barnado reviewed the album in 2008. While she gave a generally positive review, she did describe Patinkin as "over-the-top," and warned that not everyone would enjoy his "histrionics."

Amazon.com's review of the album commented on its attempt to blend two generations of listeners. They don't seem to be sure as to the success of the hybridization. They sum it up as "either an especially lively grownups' record or a sophisticated and glamorous-sounding kids' disc."

FYI Track Listing (my top 5 are in bold):
1. If I Only Had a Brain
2. Holiday for Strings
3. Minute Waltz
4. Singin' in the Bathtub
5. The Ugly Duckling
6. Soon It's Gonna Rain (with Kristin Chenoweth)
7. School Days Melody (with Kristin Chenoweth)
8. A-Tisket, A-Tasket
9. The Japanese Sandman / Cat's in the Cradle
10. Not While I'm Around
11. Rhode Island Is Famous for You
12. April in Fairbanks
13. How Could You Believe Me?
14. Everybody Says Don't / The King's New Clothes
15. New Words
16. "A" You're Adorable / Getting to Know You

No comments: