Friday, April 11, 2008

Everyone Knows that Badgers Are British!

The morning before 561 met, I was sitting at my aunt's kitchen table when she realized that her youngest, a kindergartner, had not yet completed her reading log for school. We had less than an hour, and had to read somewhere in the vicinity of 10 books to her before her bus came. I was happy to oblige.

While my cousin ate her breakfast, I zoomed through Danny and the Dinosaur, Snow White's Friends, and Just in Case You Ever Wonder. Then I came to one of my favorite books of all time: Bedtime for Frances.

I opened it up and began to read, remembering all the times it had been read to me. After the first few pages or so I looked up because my aunt was laughing and giving me a strange look. My cousin was also looking at me strangely.

"What?" I asked.
"Why are you doing a British accent?" my aunt asked me.
"Was I? I hadn't even realized it."

All of the prior books I had read with my normal everyday voice, but for some reason when I started Bedtime for Frances, I had begun reading the story and doing all the voices with an accent. Apparently, at least in my mind, Frances is a British badger. I continued to read, maintaining the voice.

Perhaps, if I have time, I will tape myself reading the story...with the voice...and post it here.

1 comment:

mkadams said...

I love the Frances books. Especially one...can't remember the name - all she wants to eat is jam and bread I believe. Very funny. I have a hard time reading some types of stories without slipping into what must be a terrible accent.