Saturday, April 19, 2008

Stories for the Ages

My church has bible classes on Sunday mornings and on Wednesday nights. Sunday mornings they are divided up by age group. (I teach the four and five year olds.) However, due to a drop in attendance and a desire to build unity among the youth, all of the classes from two and three years through junior high combine on Wednesday nights. Midweek also has teachers rotate through in pairs on a monthly basis without a set curriculum.

I had been talking to one of the Wednesday night teachers about this storytelling course, and she offered to let me do a story this Wednesday night when her teaching partner would be gone. I jumped at the chance since this means a larger audience than my regular Sunday morning class, which often only has 2 or 3 students. She left my topic and choice of story wide open, and said she would plan her part of class around me.

Now I have the dilemma of finding a story that will interest children from 26 months through 13, boys and girls, and that has moral/personal application and activities that can coincide. I thought of some Bible stories that would be fun to tell and interest the kids (like Ehud which is really bloody…), but many of these don’t have a clear direction for the rest of the class period. The stories that do have clear directions, either are harder to tell or I am worried won’t be easy to tell in a multi-age setting. I have a lot to think about. I am looking at William Bennett’s Book of Virtues for stories that aren’t biblical that I could tell and then tie in with a Bible story.

On the plus side…the church does have a FULL set of Biblical flannelgraph characters and flannel boards! Fun for me…

No comments: