Friday, May 23, 2008

The Giving Tree

Today I did my fourth Story Time with Megan. Since I had the day off I drove to the Port Orchard branch office, where I used to work. They had wanted to hear a story as well. I did an adaptation in flannel of Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree. I have posted the transcript to the right.

I know that this story is used to teach the importance of generosity. It shows kids that true happiness is found by giving, and by making others happy. But does it really? Ever since I was a little kid and first read the book I have thought that the boy was a creep. He takes and takes and never even thanks the tree. I almost feel that they story teaches kids to rip off those who look after them, and not express gratitude or care about what it costs others to help them. Still, it is a good story, and a modern classic. It is worth telling to children, but I would present it with a story that talks about being thankful/grateful for what we receive.

The performance went over well...although it was noted that this story was less of a warm fuzzy than the other stories I told. (Actually...one of my coworkers, Gail, was actually crying at the end. I didn't know whether to be pleased with the fact that I had moved her, or to feel bad because I made her cry...)

I need to thank my cousin Jake who is staying with me this weekend. He was my guinea pig audience several times when I practiced (pointing out mistakes and giving advice on wording), gave honest feedback on the flannel shapes, and then filmed the performance.

2 comments:

nicole mac0110 said...

hello i was wondering if i could use your storytelling technique for my story telling project in child development. i liked how u did it and i wanted to ask if i could use it

Elizabeth Celis said...

HI! I love your video of the Giving Tree! A really, really good storytelling technique with the flannel board. I would love to use this technique on my storytelling activity for teaching internship.