Friday, May 30, 2008

Maid Marian finally Made

I recorded (many moons ago) an online storytelling session that included me telling one of my Robin Hood stories. This was intended to count as one of my stories in front of a live audience. The problem was that I was the last story told in a storytelling/chat session that lasted nearly an hour. Also, if the viewer was not a UW student, I couldn't figure out how to get the story onto my blog.

I have been meaning to rerecord the audio, resync it to the powerpoint, and upload it here to the blog with a link to the original live telling. But I kept putting it off.

Finally, tonight, I had a great idea...why not test out my new video camera's voice recorder? I went to the original live session, recorded the audio while it played on my computer, imported it into Window's movie maker...along with the images from the powerpoint, saved it as a movie, and uploaded it onto Vimeo.

I prefer this method to using pointecast, because I don't have to use up space on my UW account. Also, vimeo will let me embed the video without having to link to it. Yay!

So, the video is posted to the left. It is an oral adaptation of a literary adaptation that I wrote of a historical/traditional Robin Hood ballad for my Honor's Capstone as an undergrad. The only major changes from the written version have to do with point of view and length. Originally I had the story written out as first person narrative.

I have put a link up to a very good resource: The Robin Hood Project. It is an online compendium of almost every extant Robin Hood legend...many in middle english. I also highly recommend the Howard Pyle version of Robin Hood...it is a classic, and a good introduction to the legend.

No comments: