Thursday, May 22, 2008

Little Bunny Foo foo

Today was the third Story Time at work. Whether due to a more convenient time slot, or the fact that buzz had been building from my previous performances, I had over twice as many attendees today. In fact, they had to relocate me from one of the signing rooms to the HUGE board room. It was also a more "high-ranking" audience...president, vice president...no pressure there!

The story I did was "Little Bunny Foo Foo,"' which was my own adaptation of a traditional camp/scout song. I expanded the verses to include reasons why Foo Foo bops the field mice, got rid of what I thought was a cheesy ending (Hare today, Goon tomorrow), and added my own ending. I have not yet written out a transcript for this story. I have told it before, and since I was very familiar with the storyline from the song,never took the time to write it down. I will do so soon though, and post it with the other transcripts.

I REALLY LIKE TELLING THIS STORY! And, I think and hope, people enjoy hearing it. I like that it can incorporate blatant moral lessons with twisted dark humor. Also, the repeated lines and hand motions can be used with younger audiences to bolster participation. My favorite thing about this particular video recording is that you can hear the audience reacting the way I want them to. It is reinforcing to me as a teller when they laugh or gasp in the right places.

(On an even more positive note...the president was so excited by the story that she demanded an encore and command performance of a second story...luckily, I still had my purple dry erase marker with me...I grabbed the white board from the sales room and did a rendition of Harold and the Purple Crayon. She even suggested that we do something like this once a week to break up the stress...I am all for that!)

Thank you to my supervisor, Kim, who filmed this one. She was so shocked at the end that she almost forgot to stop the camera!

1 comment:

robynsnest said...

Much better ending....I always disliked the "Hare today, goon tomorrow" tag line as well.