Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Today I did the second Story Time at work. This time I did an adaptation of Crockett Johnson's Harold and the Purple Crayon. I eliminated a few elements (such as the policeman that Harold meets), and adjusted the wording to be more formulaic...and thus easier to remember. I posted the transcript to the right. (The only change from the transcript is that instead of 9 pies I only drew 4...time and space issues.) I recommend that you try to find a classroom or conference room with a full size white board if you want to recreate this. It would have been a lot easier/better if I had had more space to draw. Harold wouldn't have had to wander around in such an odd manner, and it would have been less squished.

Regardless of difficulties, it seems this story was a big hit. Our VP, Harold, was unable to attend at the scheduled time, so I gave him a private performance later in the afternoon. However, one of my co-workers has a husband named Hal (Harold), who she told about it. He took time out of his day to drive all the way to the office and hear the story! I was very touched.

Thank you to Andy for filming the story. It was very nice of him. He even stood the whole time to avoid the dreaded up-angle!

I hope you enjoy the story!

1 comment:

robynsnest said...

Cute adaptation...I couldn't remember how the story ended, so there was also a thrilling element of suspense!!!!