Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Mitten

Today was the first "Storytime with Megan" at my work. I told my adaptation of Jan Brett's adaptation of The Mitten. The basic transcript is posted to the left. I followed her storyline, but the repetitive refrains that each animal uses are original to me.

I was very excited...I had knit two different sized mittens and cut all of the animals out of felt. It was a lot of prep work for an 8 minute story, but now I have the tools should I ever tell the tale again. (Although my sister, who just got her elementary ed degree seems to think she needs them...)

The work was worth it, because my coworkers were truly delighted. (And I like to think it was my storytelling, not the juice boxes and animal crackers that they loved.) They said that they had not expected me to do voices, and you can hear them chuckling in the background of the video. Afterwards several asked to look at the book, they wanted to get copies for their kids/grandkids.

Things I learned: Up-angles are not flattering! Grape is the most popular juice flavor! Wear a belt when telling this story, so that you have someplace to tuck the mittens!

Also, I need to thank Bill who filmed it for me. He was worried it would be shaky, but used a chair to prop the camera...maybe tomorrow I will take a tripod...

The video of the story is posted to the left!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I didn't think the angle was that bad! Nice job! I am very impressed. Also, very original voices. :)

One of the neatest things was hearing the audience's reaction to different parts. Very cool.

robynsnest said...

Very well done...I love the custom knitted mittens!